Who we are?
The Egyptian Biosafety Association (EGYBSA) is a scientific research association, inclusive of all biological scientists in Egypt. EGYBSA was officially registered as non-governmental organization (#3391) on 30/05/2009, and consequently follows all the regulations of Egypt and international law. The association, through the methodology of civil society, possesses the right to add non-Egyptian biological scientists as full members of EGYBSA. EGYBSA relies on a specialized cadre of well qualified members of the scientific community to provide their expertise, consultancy, and training to all members of EGYBSA.
Vision and Mission:
EGYBSA is dedicated to the mission of protecting scientists, as well as the Egyptian public and environment, from biological and chemical risks, as well as providing awareness of current biosafety and biosecurity regulations. Through EGYBSA’s cooperation and communication with international associations concerned with biosafety and biosecurity, EGYBSA seeks to support and apply biosefrty best practices to all biological laboratories in Egypt, including proper risk assessments to reduce biological and chemical risks within these laboratories.
Goals and Targets:
EGYBSA fulfills its targets by the aid of several mechanisms including establishing biosafety and biosecurity measures appropriate for Egyptian biological scientists. It also prepares training courses and programs for upgrading laboratory biosafety and biosecurity standards, including holding regional and national conferences on best practices in laboratory biosafety and biosecurity. Furthermore, EGYBSA issues periodic reports on biosafety and biosecurity, and has a website to provide technical consultancy and share biosafety and biosecurity materials designed by EGYBSA.
- Upward and maintaining professional standards for the field of biological safety.
- Advancing Biological safety as a scientific regulation through education and research.
- Providing members sustained opportunities for biosafety communication, education and participation in the development of biological safety standards, guidelines and regulations.
- Expanding biosafety awareness and promoting the development of work practices, equipments and facilities to reduce the potential for occupational illness and adverse environmental impact from infectious agents or biologically-derived materials.
- To promote biosafety and biosecurity knowledge for infectious disease prevention and control by conducting conferences workshops and by distributing information through various routes.
- To increase the number of biosafety and biosecurity experts in Egypt who can provide consultations and opinions on related issues.
- To create biosafety and biosecurity recommendations and guidelines for Egypt.